As the modern American home expands, the size of their lawns diminish.
Unlike the typical homes in the past, today’s houses always seek to add the extra bedroom and bathroom into their structure. And this expansion comes at the cost of the American lawn.
But no matter how small a yard, it will always need regular upkeep. And in my experience, the most challenging part of garden maintenance is choosing the right mower.
Push mowers get too exhausting for the user, while automated riding mowers are too big for a small spread. Heck, they won’t even fit through the yard door.
And if you are a victim of the ‘small yard’ dilemma, then as a garden care professional, I may have the right solution for you.
The Troy-Bilt CSV70, I believe, can indeed fit your needs like a glove, and with this review let me explain how.
Troy-Bilt Chipper Shredder Reviews 2020: What makes the CSV70 so unique?
Coincidentally, I have a small yard myself, which had gotten somewhat unkempt off late. And my wife decided that it was about time I gave it a beautiful trim.
But all I had in stock were the riding mowers I employ for professional use, which were not suitable for this job. So, keeping my lawn requirements in mind, I bought the Troy-Bilt CSV70, and as a result, my yard had never looked so clean and beautiful.
With the CSV70, I was quickly able to take all the leaves and cut grass from my yard and turn them into useable mulch. Unlike grass, I find disposing of fallen leaves to be very tedious, and they fill up my collection bag unnecessarily, making me empty them frequently.
With its efficient 8 to 1 reduction ratio, I was able to turn 8 bags of leaves into 1 useable bag of mulch. This not only saves me from having to buy mulch separately but I also never have to worry about raking leaves again.
This particular feature, in my opinion, sets the CSV70 apart from the rest of its competition.
My small yard is a victim to uneven ground patterns, making the surface quite uneven at specific areas. Most mowers will give me a jagged trim, but that was not the case with this one.
For a quality lawn mowing experience, a mower’s wheels are without a doubt some of the most essential features that must be considered. This is why the CSV70 comes with 8″ x 2″ wheels with ball bearings.
The ball bearings give the mower the much-needed reliability over uneven terrain. It not only makes maneuvering easy but even simplified the overall job of mowing my yard.
The 3 in 1 self-propelled Chipper, Shredder and Vacuum
Push mowers get very physically taxing when employed over a longer duration. The Troy-Bilt CSV70, on the other hand, is entirely self-propelled, so all you have to do is walk behind it and control it the way you want.
Another fantastic feature this mower provides is the ability to chip, shred and vacuum your lawn all at the same time.
Equipped with a 159cc overhead valve (OHV) engine, the CSV70 sweeps up leaves easily with the 24 inches vacuum. Additionally, for tight spots and under shrubs, I was conveniently able to use the 7 inches onboard vacuum hose that even supports 3 inches extensions.
The two chipper knives are built out of chromium; this makes the bluish-silver metal durable and highly resistant to corrosion. Its trimming potential almost made the job too easy.
Putting their customer’s needs ahead, Troy-Bilt equips their CSV70 with a 2-year limited warranty.
Most brands offer only a year’s worth of manufacturer’s warranty. The CSV70, on the other hand, if by some chance arrives damaged or gets damaged during the 2 year period, will be repaired or replaced for free.
What fell short of my expectations?
As a great high/low speed, self-propelled gardening tool, the CSV70 comes with its own variety of shortcomings.
There are a few things I hope that Troy-Bilt improves upon:
- I found the collection bag to be of inferior quality. And even with the 8 to 1 downsizing, it needed more frequent emptying than I had hoped.
- The ‘slow speed’ feature of the mower could have been slower. This may not be a problem for most, but when my father was using it, he had a terribly hard time keeping up. The CSV70’s speed may cause a problem for the older users.
- The wheels may be highly sturdy and durable, but when it comes to traction, it does not do well over wet or marshy patches of soil.
- Cut and mulch at the same time
- Reduce wastage load
- 3 in 1 – chip, shred and vacuum
- Durable and mobile wheels
- Great 2-year limited warranty
- Poor quality collection bag
- Slow speed is not slow enough for the elderly
Questions I get asked about the Troy-Bilt CSV70
What kind of fuel do I use for this mower?
Honda engines are very reliable when it comes to fuel efficiency. Standard gas that is free of ethanol would be suffice to run it. The machine also gets easier to start after a year of use.
Can I vacuum acorns from the lawn?
Yes! You can very easily vacuum small objects like acorn and pine needles from your yard.
Will it clean up animal feces from my yard?
No! And no mower should be made to. It will stick to the internal mechanism causing a huge, unwanted mess.
Durable, cost-effective and amazingly user-friendly, the Troy-Bilt CSV70 can be the dream lawn mower for any garden tool enthusiast. It may have its own set of flaws when it comes to unreliable collection bag and traction, but its pros outshine its cons by a long shot. And it comes highly recommended from my side for all small yard owners.
Hope my review today has helped you with your lawn troubles. Till next time!
Can’t make up your mind yet? Read our buying guide for wood chippers before you proceed with your purchase.
You should also check out our reviews of other models:
- BRUSH MASTER CH8M17 Chipper Shredder Review
- Cub Cadet Gas Walk-Behind Chipper Shredder Vacuum Review
- DEK 15 HP 420cc Commercial Duty Chipper Shredder Review
- Earthquake Tazz K33 Chipper Shredder Review
- Farmer Helper BX42 16HP 3 Point Cat 1 Wood Chipper Review
- NorTrac PTO Chipper Review
- Patriot Products CSV-2515 14 Amp Electric Wood Chipper/Leaf Shredder Review
- Powerhorse Chipper/Shredder Review 2020 – 420cc OHV Engine
- Predator Chipper Shredder Review 2020 – 6.5 HP 212cc
- Sun Joe CJ601E Chipper Shredder Review – 14-Amp Electric Wood Chipper
- WoodMaxx 8″ Hydraulic Auto-Feed Chipper Review
- YARDBEAST 3514 429cc 14HP Wood Chipper Review